20 January 2010

I am bad at making decisions

Ok, so during one of my ECE classes this week, I was thinking about a blog entry I'd like to write. I thought about the fact that I apparently retired from this blog for now. I decided to still create this new entry.

So, I'm either incredibly over-confident or my classmates just made the wrong career choice. This semester, one of my classes is a practicum class, which requires us to observe and interact in a primary classroom for 3 hours each week. Now, I can't wait to get started. An environment entirely new, a group of students I've yet to meet, a teacher I am looking forward to learning from.

From the questions in class last week, it appears besides the two classmates who have actually been teachers for at least a year (and me) that everyone is terrified of going into the classroom. This got me thinking, "what in the world compelled you to go to grad school to seek an early childhood education degree?"

Maybe it's just me, but it's my opinion that we should be confident in our abilities with children. Sure, there will be some butterflies, and it can be intimidating to go into a new classroom, but if something as simple as writing and presenting a lesson plan is worrying some folks, I just don't get it. Maybe my decision to change careers to one where I work with children has boosted my confidence? A lot of my classmates are career changers who either work in the corporate world or nanny.

I know there will be struggles, but I also know that I'll be awesome at it. Perhaps it is a bit of overconfidence.

(You're welcome for this post, Mike)

1 comment:

David said...

lol - I can't believe I checked your blog after 6 months of nothing. Both blogs actually. You must have really been bored. ;)