18 February 2006

What's been happening with me lately...

So I've been fielding questions as to why the heck I've been writing a letter of intent, updating my resume, etc, so I figured I'd use this to explain what my future plans are.

I applied to Roosevelt University at the end of December. Found out mid-January that I had been accepted to their Elementary Education program for the Fall of 2006.

I also just completely my application for Teach For America that I submitted on Thursday night. Teach For America is the national corps of recent college graduates of all academic majors who commit two years to teach in urban and rural public schools, and become lifelong leaders in the effort to expand educational opportunity. Its mission is to build the movement to eliminate educational inequality by enlisting some of our nation's most promising future leaders in the effort. I find out on February 28th if I will be asked to come in for interviews, which occur between March 20-24 or March 27-31. After that, I will find out if I am offered an opportunity to join the corps on April 13th. Keep your fingers crossed, as I am finally doing something to get myself out of the crappy corporate world.

Other than that, nothing much is new. As usual, I've been travelling a bit to see Illini games this season, including upcomming trips to Ann Arbor on Tuesday, and Iowa on Saturday for Senior Night to bid farewell to Dee Brown and James Augustine. (Which by the way, I am still refusing to admit Dee will be gone after this year).

Work is busy and it sucks. At least I have the fall to look forward to, as I am positive that I will either be going back to school or joining Teach For America. While it's very exciting to finally be doing what I want (teaching), it's also pretty darn scary to realize I will no longer be working in the Loop.

1 comment:

Jackie said...

That sounds awesome! I'll be watching for updates.

We're planning to be at the UFI game this Saturday...I refuse to miss Dee's last game in tAH. *snif* Hope we can catch up with some of you clowns! :D