28 April 2006

Do I have basic skills?

So I have a test tomorrow morning at 8am. I am taking the Illinois Basic Skills Test, which is required for admission to most graduate education programs. I decide to take a look at the practice test provided on their website, expecting to spend 2-3 hours on it. I started at 6:20ish and am already done. I didnt complete the exam, but I did go through enough questions in each section in order to gain a better understanding just what this test will entail.

I still stink at reading comprehension, still rock at math. No surprises there. (I use "stink" as a relative term, as I dont necessarily believe I am terrible at it, just slower than most). It's kind of startling how much my little brain can remember in regard to math. At first, some of the equations were tough to remember how to solve, but once I started solving some, most of my knowledge came back. Kind of weird. I sure am glad I paid attention in high school & didn't care that I was taking classes with a bunch of nerds.

Now, I mentioned my test was at 8am. This is a little deceiving in regard to when I actually need to get up. The test is located on the 3800 block of West 111th Street. That's roughly 25 miles from me. It also requires driving on the Dan Ryan, which is currently under construction, and likely down to one lane. I expect my commute there to be around an hour. This means I will need to leave my house around 6:30, which means I'll have to get up at roughly 5:45 in the morning. I do not like the sound of that. The test is scheduled to be 5 hours long. 5 hours?! I hope it isn't divided into timed tests, based on subject matter. I also hope that we are able to leave once we have completed the test, as I do not expect to take 5 hours. One thing I do expect - I will not be able to wait to hit my bed once I get home from completing the test. Speaking of, I should head home now, have a beer, and go to bed.

No comments: