20 March 2010

To name change or not to name change....

Most women likely don't think twice about it. Many do it based on tradition. Many do it out of convenience - I mean, who wants to explain that Erica Smith is in fact Stephen Jackson's wife even though they don't share the same last name? Especially when children are involved?

This is something I never really struggled with as I was getting older. I find name changing to be an antiquated, sex-discriminatory practice that is all too easily accepted (and expected) by many in society. It simply doesn't make sense to me for me. In my opinion, at least with regard to how I feel about it personally, I don't understand why I'm expected to give up the past 32 years of my life, simply because I decided to marry the person I love.

That said, I assume many who do decide to change their name just don't take it as seriously as I do. Most likely they don't look at it as giving up their previous life, but rather committing to a future life. I think this is easily accomplished by saying your vows and getting married. That seems official enough to me, but can understand why it's not an opinion shared by everyone.

Finally, when the time comes, we'll have to figure out what happens with the kids. Is Daugherty that weird of a middle name?

3 comments:

Mike said...

I think you're right in that most people don't put nearly as much thought in to it as you are. At the same time, on the station, we've now talked to men who have changed their names as well, or at least taken on the hyphenated name themselves. So obviously, there is no right or wrong, only what you deem right or wrong.

As for the kids, why not let them make up their own last names?

:)

David said...

For what it's worth, Amber Reynolds sounds like a pretty cool name. And, you wouldn't have to spell it for anyone. Most people can figure out how to spell Reynolds. And pronounce it too, for that matter. :)

Anonymous said...

Who cares what your kids middle name is when you don't care what the last name is. . . by the way which last name will she use, yours or his?????