19 April 2010

My job has been interesting

In an effort to keep this blog entry short (yeah, right), I'll try and give a cliff notes version of my recent experiences at work.

End of February:
Lead teacher in the infant room I worked in left on maternity leave. No real discussion on who would take over took place, but it was assumed that I would share the responsibility with the other gal who has been there since we opened.

March 10th-ish:
It was announced that the other gal would become lead teacher and was explained to me a couple of ways:
"You'd be our choice if it weren't for your student teaching in the fall" was the main one. What a bunch of crock. I was ready to quit for a couple of weeks, even working on my resume and looking at jobs on craigslist.

end of March-ish:
I was moved out of the room and became an assistant teacher in the Twos room (where I'd been working in the afternoons from 1-4). I couldnt have been more ecstatic.

Since then, I have totally enjoyed what I've been doing. I simply love my job. It's odd, annoying, unheard of, etc for me to say that, but I really do. What makes it better is my co-teachers in the room. Everyone in the room is really great with the kids and really takes a project approach when it comes to planning lessons and activities. What I mean by that, is that we look at what the kids are interested in and plan around that. This is what's so great about the younger age, as I don't know if it'll be possible with the older kids, where standardized tests take over our lives. But I digress.

In any case, there have been a couple of occasions, because the other teachers are so strong in this room, where I was worried I wouldn't be up to par in the room... but much to my happiness (not surprise, really) - I've not only felt welcome, but have had the other teachers proclaim their confidence in me. We are probably the strongest room in the center (4 infant rooms, 1 toddler room, 1 twos room, and 1 preschool room) when it comes to the teachers' abilities.

It's really great to be a part of this room and a part of a close-knit group of teachers. I'm glad the directors decided to make the decision to move me out of the old room, because I'd likely not last past summer in there if I weren't the lead teacher. Funny enough, I'm totally ok being an assistant in the room I'm in now because I have full respect for the lead teacher and his abilities.

4 comments:

Mike said...

Hello.

Now, what do you believe to be the real reason you were moved from the other room? I'll hang up and listen to your response.

David said...

I have to say it is really cool hearing how much you enjoy your job.

Amber said...

Mike - I'm thinking they caught on, or overheard me mentioning that I'd seek other employment were I not offered the lead position in the infant room. Best thing that never happened to me - I am loving my time with the 2 year olds.

Amber said...

Additionally, they likely knew they made a bad decision, but couldn't go back on it, and knew that I wouldn't take direction from someone I considered my lessor (lesser?) Whatever.