06 October 2008

Don't be Jack, move to the back

For the life of me, I will never understand people, who otherwise appear to be coherent, completely incapable of riding public transportation in the most effective manner.

You board a train or bus and all seats are full. There are likely more stops remaining until you reach your destination.

How hard is it to move toward the middle of a train car or toward the back of a bus? Why in the world would someone think it makes sense to board and then just stand near the door? These seem like really dumb questions, yet it happens all the time.

"But I'm getting off in a few stops!" is not a good excuse. Actually, unless you're unable to walk, or have huge boxes with you (which you shouldn't be on the train at rush hour to begin with, but I digress), I don't see a good reason to not move to a spot that would create the most amount of room for other passengers.

Many times, if I'm boarding & see this happening, I'll push past people (politely asking) and mumble something about moving to the back (sort of passive-aggressive). You'd think the push past wouldn't occur once I excuse myself, because the passenger(s) has to then realize their public transportation etiquette misstep.

It makes me a lot angrier than it should, that's for sure. I wish it didn't bother me as much as it does. I've been stuck on the platform way too many times to not get angry about it, and if I can help prevent someone else being angry, I'm all for it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

As someone whose bus/train riding experience is limited to taking those tram thingies from the terminal to the baggage pickup at airports, I can tell you that it seems like what you are saying should be common sense. I think the people you've encountered know better, but they just don't care.