23 March 2006

Heckler Update

So I arrived at the Starbucks a little earlier than planned, grabbed a mocha and a seat, uncomfortably looking around to see if someone looked like they might be named "Laura." It was surprisingly determined early on that for some absurd reason I was feeling a bit nervous. I was only able to determine this based on the fact that my stomach wasn't taking too kindly to my mocha, and that never happens (then again, it could have just been a crappy mocha, who knows).

Eventually I spot someone sitting at a table with 2 other girls, and a Heckler paper sitting out. This had to be them. I walk over, introduce myself, and upon handshake, Laura proclaims, "You're Amber! Before we get started, I just wanted to ask you something. Have you ever considered submitting articles to the paper? (I hadn't really) You're email you sent over for this was hysterical, I even showed my coworkers that were in the office. Let me give you the contact information for our editor, as well as the generic submissions email" Score.

So then the meeting began... yadda yadda yadda... basically the job isnt as crappy as I was expecting. When reading the ad, I assumed we'd have to go to all the boxes and refill them with new papers. Who knew The Heckler had a distribution department who does this? Basically, for 2 hours before the game, you hand out papers to people heading into the game. Sounds easy enough (& certainly worth the $15/hour they pay us on the spot).

The topic of "uniform" came up. Laura explained that last year's uniform consisted of some sort of Heckler top, be it a t-shirt, tank top, etc; along with a blue mini-skirt & knee high socks. Yes, you heard me correctly... a MINI skirt AND knee high socks. No thank you. She then went on to explain that the uniform would be changing this year to something simpler & more personal choice-y (same top, denim of your choice on the bottom). Perfect. I like denim.

And finally we get to the part where she informs us that the promotions team has a name. Now, it's a group of 8-12 girls, so the immediate thought that came to my head was "The Hecklerettes" - Kinda lame, but it works. I wish that were the name, but no, the name of the group - The Bleacher Bunnies. Yes. Bleacher Bunnies. I do not like the bleachers, nor being referred to as a bunny. If hired, I will ask to wear a bunny costume, solely so I can wear bunny ears and a fuzzy tail.

I find out this weekend if they want me. (Hello, who wouldnt?)

Side note: please feel free to give me suggestions of topics I could start writing about to submit to the paper, as ultimately, that's what I want out of this relationship. That, and the bunny ears.

3 comments:

Danimal said...

Hi BB!!!! *snicker*

Jackie said...

SCORE!!!!!!1!!! Yesssssssssssssssssssss!!!!!!!

First topic: cell phone wavers!

Or how about a fake roster of expected celebrity singers for the 7th inning this year? You could come up with really absurd crap like Wilt Chamberlain's corpse, the Tru-Link fence CEO, etc.

Amber said...

Cuppy would be a good guest conductor. (Cuppy is the Dunkin Donuts cartoon cup of coffee that races Donut & Bagel on the jumbo tron at Bulls games)