25 May 2009

In laws

Tonight, Matt's mom introduced me as "my future daughter-in-law, I hope"

I'm up north with Matt's family. After dinner, Matt and his dad wanted to go fishing for walleyes, but Matt's mom, sister and I were more interested in just hanging out. So, the 2 of them went back to the cabin to fish while Fran, Megs and I went out in town, in Minocqua.

We went to a place called Otto's - it's a local joint, with a really neat interior. Judging by the beers on tap and the size of the tables, we were in a German bar - well, at least Minocqua's version of one. Once we realized having 3 people sit at an 8-person table seemed odd, we were more than happy to welcome a family of 4 to sit at one end of our booth. Did I mention it was a booth?

As they sat down, they introduced themselves, as did we. Fran introduced me as her future daughter-in-law (she hoped) & it was a pretty cool feeling.

Tonight was probably the first night I was with Matt's family, but went out without him. Normally, I may have some qualms about it, but tonight, there was no hesitation. I knew he and his dad wanted to get some fishing in, and I knew I didn't & neither did his mom or sister. I had no problem going with them to have drinks while the boys went fishing.

Tonight was really cool & made me feel more a part of this family than I ever have before. (Even if that's scary and forward to say).

3 comments:

Unknown said...

i have consumed many adult beverages at Otto's. it's a pretty cool place with the beer garden and all. another place you should check out is the Thirsty Whale. it's kind of a chachi bar, but the deck area that overlooks the lake is pretty cool for happy hour.

also, that's great that you are getting along so well with Matt's family.

Brooke said...

I LOVED reading this! Seriously, it made me smile for you! I hear he is a really great guy and I'm glad you love his family!! Can't wait to hear more about your new job. :)

Amber said...

LOL, I've totally been to the Thirsty Whale! It's not often that we're able to pull ourselves away from the lake, especially to drive all the way into Minocqua, but when we do, we stop at the fun joints.