22 June 2009

2 week between jobs - First weekend

So, my last day at CSG was Thursday, June 18th. I had a happy hour with some coworkers, which ended up sort of weird, in that, much fewer people showed than I expected. Not that I expected everyone in the office to show up, but if someone I expected to show didn't stop by and tell me they couldn't make it, I assumed they'd be there. Either way, I should focus on those who did come, and be thankful for having their friendships... so, here's to them!

Friday, I went to the Cubs/Indians game. This was Kerry Wood and Mark DeRosa's first game back at Wrigley. DeRosa batted second in the game and received a resounding standing ovation. It was pretty neat. Wood came into the game in the 9th, and unfortunately (well, fortunately for us Cub fans, I guess) gave up a game-tying homerun to D Lee in the bottom of the 9th. Wood did receive a similar standing ovation when he was announced as he was coming into the ballgame.

Saturday, I again had Cubs tickets, this time in the bleachers. My friend Jen joined me, as I treated her for her birthday (which was back in March, but whatever). It was the first nice day of the season, of which I received a slight sunburn despite wearing sunblock. She and I had a couple of frozen drinks, but ended up chugging water for the majority of the game. We were a little affected by the heat & even had to take breaks to be in the shade.

Saturday night, my friend Sean flew in from Phoenix, for a few days of vacation in Chicago prior to heading to Detroit for our friend Chris's's's's wedding. We ended up at a street fest around Southport and Fullerton. Luckily, we are liars and cheaters, and we snuck in our own beers (beers were somewhat reasonable at $5, but still). After having to pay $10 (suggested donation, which was being collected by people at the gate.... and didn't seem so suggested, as they asked everyone for it). We only stuck around for a few hours, as the band (Mike & Joe) wasn't really our style.

Sunday was spent in the beer garden at Justin's. One of my favorite places in the city during the summer. Cheap $12 pitchers of 312, surrounded by friends, sitting outside = good times.

Today, Sean and I went to Hot Doug's for lunch. I had never been, and apparently this place is the best hotdog/encased meats place in Chicago. The line is typically out the door and can take anywhere from 2o minutes (non-high traffic time middle of the week) to 3 hours (weekend, lunchtime). We ended up waiting about 40 minutes in line (which was out the door). I tried and enjoyed the bacon cheeseburger pork sausage.

I've got the rest of the week to start going through things in the apartment, to get laundry done, to find a sweater top for my dress for Chris's's's's wedding, and just do a general cleanup of our apartment (as they're likely going to start showing it to potential clients).

Sean is currently out on a mandate and Matt is at Moody Bible to watch some Illinois recruits play basketball. I will celebrate this small time alone by making a drink.

Cheers.

No comments: