24 February 2009

Training - Day 2

I made it to Curves last night after work. Begrudgingly. I was all pumped for it all day, but as I was off the train, walking toward Curves, I wasn't looking forward to it. Once I was finished and stretching (my favorite part), I felt much better. I worked out harder than I planned to, and had my heart rate up most of the workout. When I walked home, I counted how many steps away Curves is from my front door. 148 steps. Yes, that's right. It's 148 steps away & I hadn't been since October. Awesome.

Now, onto today. Because I have observation hours I need to do at lunch, and a haircut planned for after work, I needed to get my first 3-mile training walk in somehow. That meant I had to work out before work. What the eff? I woke up just fine at 5:55 this morning. Got changed, brushed my teeth & washed my face, grabbed by bag and left. (I packed my bag the night before, so I couldn't use that as my excuse). I hopped on the train and went to the gym downtown, about .7 miles from my office.

Thank goodness for treadmills with personal televisions mounted on them. In the 55 minutes I walked (yes, it took me 55 minutes to walk 3 miles), I watched the end of Saved By The Bell: Miss Bliss Years, Devon Harris hit the game winning-half court shot on Sportscenter, Mike and Mike talking about Golic's 11.5 sacks in his career, and 35 minutes of Law & Order: SVU.

After my 3 miles, I didn't stretch like I should have. The stretching area is in the middle of all the machines, with all machines pointing toward it. I'm not interested in stretching while everyone watches. I'll likely regret that later. In the locker room, I picked up a towel the size of a hand towel and realized this was what I had to use for a shower. What I didn't realize, is that people usually just walk to the bathroom naked, or with this towel wrapped around them. I went fully clothed and had to throw my clothes over the shower stall door as I showered. Oops.

I was able to get ready rather quickly and ended up walking into work around 8:30 (so, only about 15-30 minutes later than normal). I'd like to say I'll do this on a regular basis - but the train ride into the city took forever & made me sleepy. The hoofing of the gym bag and work bag a total of about a mile sort of sucked. I do have another option, a gym is near my house, but the same sort of schlepping would be required.

I am proud of myself for sticking to the training schedule & getting started on time. Let's hope this keeps up.

No comments: