22 April 2009

My name is Amber and I am a shopaholic

No, I'm really not, actually.


However, on my way back from lunch, if I pass Old Navy, NY&Co, Nordstrom Rack, Sears, H&M, and Forever 21, it's hard for me not to stop in. It's really weird. I don't shop. I shop when I know I need something specific. So, in my little head, I decide, "weather is getting warmer, I need some summer clothes!"


I initially stopped at Old Navy. Tried on a couple of tops and some shorts - none looked good. That was all the discouragement I needed there. I handed the discarded items to the fitting room lady and made my way back to the office.


"But, NY&Co is right there... they usually have sales upstairs..."


And so I go in.


I make a quick go walk around all parts of the store and saw nothing. As I was heading back downstairs, a long summer dress caught my eye. It had a cute half-sweater type of something over it, so, I was all, "hmmm, I could wear that." I look at the price tag and realize it's $52. $52 for a summer dress is tough for me to swallow. Not to mention, this half sweater thing-a-ma-bob was $35. $35 for half a sweater! I convince myself I should try them on and see how it looks (hoping it looked bad, so I wouldn't have to buy it).


The dress size I brought back was too big at weird parts. So, I assumed I'd have to tailor it, as there's no way to fit into a smaller size (especially since I've been doing awful at keeping up my workout schedule). I still went back and grabbed the next size down...you know, just to make sure it too looked awful.

It looked good. I felt comfortable in it. I decide I am allowed to buy it & the sweater (since I could figure out a couple other outfits to wear this half-sweater with). I needed a tank top to wear under it during the day, so I also grabbed one on my way to the cash register. $22? for a tank top? I went to put it back and realized the signage above the rack said "60% off!" - so, $12? Ok, still pricey, but not too bad.


I make it up to the register. The check out dude was all, "Do you have a coupon today?"


"Holy eff, don't make me think about how much I could save if I had one!" is what I wanted to say, instead, just as sighful "No"


His response made my day - "well, you're lucky I have an extra one!"


I didn't ask him what sort of coupon, or what I'd get off, I just let him ring it in. My dress ended up being $30, the half sweater was $24 and the tank top was $6! I spent $67 total, instead of the $110+ that I was anticipating.


I am currently experiencing the opposite of buyer's remorse. :)


and for those interested - here's the dress/sweater thing


Only in Navy Blue, not brown:



My hair is a bit shorter, less curly, and I'm not black.

2 comments:

Brooke said...

I LOVE NY&Co!! I always avoid like crazy because I know if I go in I'll end up buying something...especially something I DO NOT really need! Great job! The dress is totally cute!

And get to walking! :)

David said...

My favorite part of that whole story was "My hair is a bit shorter, less curly, and I'm not black." - lol