01 April 2009

Nice people are encouraging

So I forced myself to go to Curves today after work, since I knew I wouldn't be able to go again this week. I was dreading it the entire train ride there. Mostly because I had to get my card re-calibrated.

For those who have no idea what I'm talking about - Curves is a circuit of strength training machines, separated by cardio boards. These strength training machines have a program associated with them, which can customize your workout to get the best out of you on each machine. Anyway, since I had to switch clubs, thanks to mine closing, I had to get my card re-calibrated - which basically meant that I had to go around all of the machines and do a few reps to get my speed and range of motion. This shouldn't be a big deal, but it was a little uncomfortable to do in front of a bunch of strangers (including the hardcore workout girl ((who I think works out incorrectly based on how fast and jerky she does some machines )).

The woman working tonight was really cool, laid back and encouraging without being annoying. She explained what each machine did (even though I already knew) and constantly asked if I was comfortable and without pain. After about 15 minutes of re-calibrating, I did my workout and felt great after.

This club seems to be full of a bunch of women who all know each other, and all talk during workouts. That's definitely not my thing, so, while I appreciate the camaraderie associated with the place, I don't want to feel pressured to become BFFs with everyone.

Finally, I get home and check my email & there's a monthly newsletter from the club. This place is so much different than my previous club, where I felt like a stranger most of the time. I'm a little more optimistic about this place, despite initial hesitation and pessimism.

Matt and I walked up to Cullen's for dinner tonight. I was good and had a chicken sandwich and steamed veggies, no beer. Pretty good for being at an Irish bar!

I'm leaving for Detroit on Friday night - still do not have tickets (Thanks MSU) - but I'm not concerned about it. If we get them, cool - if not, I know we'll be able to get some for Monday's championship game. Part of the fun of the Final Four is being in the atmosphere and hanging out with other college basketball fans.

School starts up again for me next Tuesday. I have one in-class class and one online class again. It'll be interesting to see how I do with a Tuesday class. I have to say, I liked having Thursday night classes, because once Sunday PM came, I knew I was finished with homework until Wednesday night. It'll be an interesting transition.

No comments: