24 April 2009

weather is odd

So, today is probably the first truly nice day of the year in Chicago. It was roughly 68 degrees and sunny when I left for work today. As I was walking down State St toward work, I was thinking, "Man, it's really hard to go into work on such a nice day" which lead to me realizing I say the same thing on rainy days, only then, I just don't want to get out of bed.

We have happy hour planned at Justin's beer garden tonight. I can't tell you how much I'm looking forward to that. Sitting outside with friends and drinking is one of my favorite things to do in the summer... whether in a beer garden, on someone's back deck, at a ballgame, wherever. I love it.

I walked home from work yesterday too, as yesterday, the warm weather was making an attempt to show up and cooperate with everyone. It was so much easier to walk home in nice weather. Not only because I didn't have the feeling of being cold, but because I was surrounded by others doing the exact same thing - but either on bikes, rollerblades, by running, etc. It was very encouraging, even if they were a bunch of strangers. On my walk home, I was walking west on Fullerton (I came off the lake shore drive path, to start heading home)...anyway, I see a coworker who had just gotten off the bus, heading toward his house. He looked surprised that I wasn't wearing the dress I had on earlier. When I explained I was walking home, he responded with, "all the way from work?" :) (At that point, I was probably about 4 miles into the walk).

This weekend we're heading out to the suburbs to see Matt's football-playing cousin perform in his high school's production of Les Mis. I have explained to him that I've never seen Les Mis, so he better not disappoint us.

Looking forward to that & getting some walks in this weekend. My friend Teri recently had a baby, but was also recently cleared to start working out again, so she will hopefully join me on one of my walks this weekend.

I'm skipping a baby shower this weekend as well. Not because I dislike baby showers (or any showers for that matter), but because I was invited to a shower for a friend of a friend. She's not someone I call or email with, nor is she someone I invite to things. I certainly wouldn't invite her to my wedding, at least not at this point in my life. She's a part of the group of friends that I hang out with, but not someone I ever talk to outside of those times. I didn't want to confront the hosts, so I politely declined, but will still send a couple of books for the kids.

Is it time for happy hour yet?

No comments: