09 April 2009

Walking sort of sucks

I decided to walk home from work today since I had to do a 5 miler today.

About a mile and a half in, I wanted to give up. I was tired, annoyed, my feet hurt, and my knee felt sore. Excuses, excuses.

I knew I needed to make it to the Lake Shore path (it's harder to walk to a bus/train from there). I almost hopped on a bus at least twice.

WTF is wrong with me? It's just walking. I think knowing that it'd take me 2 hours to get home was a huge obstacle I had to get past. Once on the path, I was much better. Next to the lake, seeing other people walking, running and biking certainly helped. I told myself I had to make it to at least Fullerton (roughly the 3.5 mile mark) before I could give up. I "exited" at Fullerton, but kept walking. As I kept walking, I realized I only had a little further to go, so it'd be silly of me to quit so late.

The walk door-to-door from work is about 6 miles, so I walked an extra mile. I feel ok about it.

I will now make myself a celebratory drink.

1 comment:

David said...

I was trying to think of how long 6 miles would be if I decided to walk that far. That would be all the way around the perimeter of Philo TWO TIMES. That's a long way! Keep up the good work.