13 July 2009

I have a baby voice

I tried to fight it, I really did, but kids love the weird baby voice. Now, I don't use it all of the time (most), but it can be quite effective in evoking emotions out of the little tots.

I started working at Kids Work Chicago last Wednesday. I'm currently working part-time, so my day begins at 7:30 and ends around 1:00 (depending on where the kids are and what they need). I have to say, it's pretty great to have afternoons off in the summer. I've been working a bit on training for the 3-Day wak, but most of my time has been spent looking for an apartment and homework... but this post is about the babies...

So, I am currently working in a classroom with 4 infants, ranging in ages from 5ish months to 12 months. I am working with a really great lead teacher, who being only 26 years old, has a heck of a lot of experience, and someone I look to for guidance and help when working with the kids. She's great with knowing who needs what when, and I think we work well together. I'm also helping out in the classroom next door as needed - that room has an older lead teacher, and includes 3 infants.

I went into this new career with mixed expectations. I am quite excited about the change & love children; but I didn't want to get my hopes up for some magical reactions and feelings I'd experience.

Each day has been difficult. Each day has been great. Each day has had at least one small moment where I sit back and think, "this is exactly why I want to do this." And each of these moments are small and likely insignificant to many. For example, the first day, there was a moment where two of the boys were on one of the play mats, looking at each other, and suddenly one of them made the other one laugh. That's it. Kids are such interesting creatures. I love watching them interact with one another without talking. Well, without talking in a language anyone understands, at least. :)

The second day, the moment was when I was able to successfully put little Lauren to sleep. She's a tough one to deal with, and likely has been treated differently at home or with a nanny (in that, someone will hold her for the entirety of her nap, or pick her up as soon as she fusses in her crib). Unrelated, I've been trying to call her LP or Lo, simply as a tribute to Laguna Beach. I don't think she gets it.

Friday (the third day), Erika (my lead teacher) started to implement a schedule with the kids, in an attempt to get them at least eating at the same time each day. Kids are allowed to eat, sleep, play, poop, etc on their own schedule, nothing is forced. I think this is great. I also find some ease in getting the kids to eat breakfast or lunch at the same time. Friday, everyone ate together, slept together, and played together (for the most part). It was a really great day. It was a tough day leaving, because the new guy Max (12 months) seems to have a negative reaction anytime I leave the room. He reached out to hug me before I left. I almost lost it.

Today (Monday) was tough. Little Lo projectile vomited all over me, herself, the carpet and the tile. To boot, she giggled the entire time I changed her. That little punk!

The job is rewarding and tiring, and I am learning a heck of a lot on a daily basis. It's awesome.

1 comment:

David said...

Great. I'm glad to hear it's going so well. Keep the baby stories coming.