29 July 2009

Toddlers sure do toddle a lot

So, today I filled in for a vacationing teacher in the toddlers classroom. I was slated to work from 12:30-5:30, and made sure to down a couple of caffeinated beverages at lunch. I arrive to a room full of toddlers laying on their cots (room full = 7). Most were almost asleep. I was then told they sleep until 2:30PM. Um, wtf am I supposed to do for 2 hours? We were told cell phone usage wasn't really acceptable during off/naptime. All of the rooms have cameras in them, and I hadn't had a chance to figure out where the hiding spot in this room was, so I sat quietly while the kids slept.

One little bugger woke up at 1:30 and was all yelling and stuff. He didn't recognize me, so my attempt at soothing and calming him down was F- level performance. Luckily, the assistant director was covering for the adjacent room, and came over to help out. She had a tough time, but eventually got him to calm down.

By 2:30, they were all up and slowly warming up to me. One, in particular, assumed I was her best friend as soon as she opened her eyes. This was a nice reassurance, as I'm never sure how kids will take to me. Eventually, almost all of them decided I was their friend and someone worthy of their attention (err, someone worthy of getting the attention of) :)

The room was a disaster within minutes. I thought it was tough to keep the infant room neat and cleaned up. That said, you can order little tots around to pick things up and put them into their bins and shelves, unlike with the babies.

We eventually went outside, had bubble time, and the kids played on the awesome playground the center installed when they built the center (the playground itself cost about $60,000). I caught the director keeping an eye on me a couple of times throughout the playtime (the same one who was in the infant room with me last Friday). I don't mean to brag, but I find myself to be comfortable around kids, and therefore, I relate to and play with them really well... and, it all seems to come naturally, which is awesome. I feel like I have really great instincts when it comes to kids, which gives me the confidence I need to succeed in this field.

Anyway, as I was leaving, the assistant director pulled me aside and asked how my day went. She then went on to tell me that she, Sarah (director), and Linda (director) all loved me and loved how I am around the kids, and want to get me more hours. Duh, of course I'll take it. It'd be similar to today, but likely (hopefully), with a longer lunch break (or break between switching classes).

It's a really great confidence boost for me, and working with different ages is exactly the experience (and fun) I need. :)

Oh, we're moving in 3 days. I can't think about it because I'll start crying. The sacrifices I'm making for these kids is amazing.

Happy hump day, all.

No comments: