10 May 2007

Rockforditude, Part 2

I'm not sure how often I'll post in the Rocforditude series, but I've got a couple more today, so I figured I'd blog about them.

Admission #3: As a kid, my parents would recycle old butter & Kool-whip plastic bowls to be used as bowls in our house. Now, I'm not talking about a replacement for tupperware containers only, they were actually the bowls we used every day. I'd eat pudding, ice cream, soup, whatever is served in a bowl, out of these old plastic butter dishes. It wasn't until college that I realized how uncommon this was (I figured everyone did this). After we'd used up our Country Crock butter (which would have never been bought for my house in Rockford, as it was the fancy butter), I took the bowl & started to wash it out. Much to my roommates' surprise, one of them asked me what I was doing. I explained that it can be used as a bowl from now on. Another one looked at me and said, "but we have bowls" & then opened the cabinet with the plastic bowls we bought from Meijer. I continued to wash the bowl, dried it, and then put it in the garbage out of embarrassment.

Admission #4: Growing up, us kids would receive a small allowance based on the chores we did around the house. Usually, it'd be anywhere between 10 cents and a quarter per day. There was a candy store down the street from our house that we could buy candy from - Now-n-laters, Laffy Taffy, Pixie Stix, Lick-a-maid, etc. Most of that stuff cost at least 10 cents each, and after a week of saving, we'd only be able to get a small amount of candy, thus, not fulfilling our sugar fix. Because Pixie Stix & Lick-a-maid were my favorites from the candy store, I decided to make my own version. I'd fill a baggie up with red kool-aid mix, tie a knot in it, and bite one of the corners out. That was my Lick-a-maid.

8 comments:

AJ said...

Logli's has The.Slowest.Checkout.Ever.

I wasted 20 minutes there yesterday trying to buy 1 item.

Is it me, or does the sign for Logli's look like some kind of Japanese anime advert?

Perhaps I just don't understand this Rockforditude...

Anonymous said...

I know this is gonna shock you, but my mom totally re-used the cool whip and other containers as bowls too. In fact, I ate cereal out of them for years.

Amber said...

David - When did you find out that most families don't do that?

paigniac said...

I have a wienerdude attitude

Anonymous said...

I didn't find out many things like that until I got married. When I started seriously dating Lisa, and spending more time at her folks' house, I thought "Wow, they must be rich!"

Anonymous said...

The funny thing is i remember doing stuff like that around our house growing up, too.

we were broke for a loooooong time. eventually, things changed a bit, but we did alot of similar stuff. one of my favourites was "breakfast for supper!" b/c all we had in the house was bisquick, milk, butter, and syrup. lol

Amber said...

Breakfast for supper is pretty common, and not something I'd consider in the same light.

*shrug*

Sean Moore said...

Lick-a-maid?