08 May 2007

"Rockforditude"

My friend Sean has coined a new word: "Rockforditude." It's based mainly on my admissions of things I did when I was younger, when I lived in the Rock (as I like to affectionately call it). Neither of the things I admitted to were all that surprising, especially considering that I grew up in the Rock.

Admission #1: I wanted to wear a Jake the Snake T-Shirt for my 5th grade pictures. I wasn't allowed. I was big into the WWF back then, went to many WWF events at the Metro Centre. One of the events, my best friend at the time, Teri Shook, had gotten us really great seats (as if that exists for a wrestling match). We were right near the aisle where the wrestlers would walk in. At the time, Randy "Macho Man" Savage had just gotten rid of his old girl on his side, and hired "Scary Sherry." No one liked Scary Sherry. My friend Teri got right up next to the bars that held the crowd back, and as Scary Sherry walked by, she reached out and scratched Scary Sherry. Normal.

Admission #2: In 7th grade, I was at a new school, away from all of my friends from K-6. In an attempt to fit in & get to know kids at my new school, I tried out for the pom pon team. Now, me trying out for poms is funny enough in itslef, considering how klutzy I can be. Anyway, tryout day comes. I tried out wearing a Metallica t-shirt. Needless to say, I didn't make the squad.

I will try and think of more things, because I'm certain they exist, that can be examples of my Rockforditude.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Too bad other places aren't as amenable to hybrid, made-up words.

When I go back to my home town, I am sometimes Kenoshunned.

I go to the Omega for some good old Downer Grub.

Nope, both suck.

Megan said...

I believe there is a story about you and steph drinking and biking??

what about the numerous things we did at B&N?

do all these stories have to involve you and a heavy metal t-shirt??

Amber said...

Holy cow! That was on vacation in Florida with Steph's family. We rode our bikes to the party. Drank. Then we rode back to wherever we were staying. I may or may not have fallen down.

They do not have to involve a heavy metal t-shirt... more so, they need to be stories for which someone would respond, "Only in Rockford..."

Dave Kingman said...

I look forward to your next batch of stories